Last year, many of you were invaluable in getting the word out about the Yale Drama Series Award for Emerging Playwrights. Your help was greatly appreciated, and it resulted in a record-breaking number of submissions. We would like to ask for your help again in reaching playwrights who might be interested in submitting their work for the 2013 competition. Submissions will be accepted from now until August 15, 2012. The winner will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, the publication of his or her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a reception and staged reading at the new Claire Tow Theater at Lincoln Center. Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Marsha Norman will be the judge for the next two years. Past judges have included Edward Albee, Sir David Hare, and John Guare. Past winners have gone on to have full productions in New York, Los Angeles and London. Please forward this email, and the attached competition rules, to any playwright you know who may be eligible for and interested in this opportunity. For more information about the Yale Drama Series, please visit dchornfoundation.org or http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/drama.asp, or e-mail email@example.com.
COMPETITION RULES The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2013 playwriting competition. The winning play will be selected by the series' current judge, award-winning playwright John Guare. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of his/her manuscript by Yale University Press, and a staged reading at Lincoln Center Theater.
There is no application form or entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, and children's plays are not accepted. The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have had professional productions are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading or non-professional production are accepted.
5. Plays may not be under option or scheduled for professional production at the time of submission.
6. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play's title and your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address (if you have one), page count and (if applicable) a list of acknowledgments; a second title page which lists the title of the play only, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes.
7. Plays must be typed/word-processed, page-numbered and in standard professional play format. A brief biography may be included at the end of the manuscript, on a separate page, but is not required.
8. Do not bind or staple the manuscript.
9. Send the manuscript to Yale Drama Series, P.O. Box 209040, New Haven, CT 06520-9040.
Submissions for the 2013 competition must be postmarked no earlier than June 1, 2012 and no later than August 15, 2012. Do not send the only copy of your work. Manuscripts cannot be returned after the competition. If you wish receipt of your manuscript to be acknowledged, please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Electronic submissions for the 2013 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2012 and no later than August 15, 2012.
If you would like to submit an electronic copy of your manuscript please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Upon receiving an email request for submission, we will send an email reply to the sender requesting a secure file transfer form be completed which will allow the electronic submission.
Both PDF/Word document submissions are accepted. PDF submissions are preferred but not required.
Please go to http://www.adobe.com if you need assistance converting a Word document to a PDF.
The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
CONTACT US For more information regarding the Yale Drama Series please write to us at: Yale Drama Series P.O. Box 209040 New Haven, CT 06520-9040 or email us at email@example.com
Eric Brandt, PhD
Senior Editor for Humanities
Yale University Press