Search for Common Ground, Spring and Summer Internship Opportunities, Sub-Saharan Africa Program (DC or Brussels)
Spring and Summer Internship Opportunities
Based in Washington DC, USA or Brussels, Belgium
Sub-Saharan Africa Program
Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is a non-profit organization that works to transform the way the world deals with conflict – away from adversarial approaches and towards collaborative problem solving.
The Africa Program is active in Angola, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Chad, Côte d'Ivoire, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Guinea, Liberia, Madagascar, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. The intern will support the Africa Team in providing programmatic, logistical, and financial support to SFCG's projects in the region. For more information on our projects in Sub-Saharan Africa, please visit www.sfcg.org.
Spring internships begin immediately and last until early May. Summer internship begins in late May and last until late August 2012. The last day to apply for spring internships is February 1, 2012. The last day to apply for summer internships is April 1, 2012.
Duties for this unpaid internship positions include, but are not limited to:
- Contributing to the production of donor reports and grant proposals;
- Attending policy meetings, representing the Africa Program;
- Backstopping the Washington DC-based Africa Team and country offices overseas; and
- Assisting with website, program literature and database system maintenance.
The ideal candidate will exhibit:
- Good writing, editing and communication skills (required);
- French Fluency (required);
- A self-starting, detail-oriented and flexible approach to tasks (required);
- Demonstrable interest in African issues and/or conflict resolution (required); and
- NGO and/or international experience (preferred).
Undergraduates (juniors and seniors), graduate students, and recent graduates are welcome to apply.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, two references, and a one-page writing sample to:
For this position, we require commitments of no less than twenty-four hours a week. Please note that this position is unpaid. Credit can be arranged for students with their institution. For international applicants, Search for Common Ground is not responsible for providing student or work visas; you will need to make your own visa arrangements.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We ask that you do not follow-up with calls or emails concerning the status of your application.
Candidates who fail to submit and/or complete the full application and do not meet the appropriate application deadline will not be considered.