Calls for submissions
Call for Submissions: Ajam Media Collective – Deadline Ongoing
The Ajam Media Collective is an online community dedicated to documenting and analyzing cultural, social, and political trends in the diverse Iranian, Central Asian, and Diaspora communities, and serves as a semi-scholarly resource by engaging with academics, activists, and students of the region.
Ajam is looking to expand the discussion in the following fields: visual art, popular and traditional music, literature, gender and sexuality, photo essays. For more information, click here.
- The ALAS summer residency program offers genuine exchange, mentoring, dialogue and critical feedback from our team and established art world professionals. For more information, please click here.
Deadline March 2
- The Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition (BWAC) is calling for submissions for the Wide Open 4 national juried art show. For more information and to submit work, please click here.
Deadline March 11
- International Studio & Curatorial Program (ISCP) is offering residences for artists and curators. For more information and to submit an application, please click here.
EAVE: Interchange 2013, Support for Film Professionals in the Middle East
Deadline March 14
The Interchange Programme was created with the goal of building cooperation between film professionals from Europe and the Arab world through professional training centered on the in-depth development of a number of feature-length fiction film projects every year. It is open to 10 teams of writer/director & producer – usually about half of the participants are Arab and half are European –, as well as to 3 Arab film professionals interested in story editing training.
The main concerns around which the course is built are project development, co-production strategies between the European and Arab world, pitching & networking (at the Dubai Film Connection). For more information, click here.
- Gassworks, London is accepting applications from non-UK based performance artists for a funded artist residency program. Click here to learn more.
Deadline March 4
- The Watermill Center is accepting applications for the International Summer Program 2013. For more information, please click here.
Deadline March 6
- The Academy of the Arts of the World, Cologne, is accepting sumbissions from artists to foster inter and transcultural dialogue between the arts. To learn more, click here.
Deadline March 20
The Sharjah Biennial 11 March Meeting 2013
The Sharjah Biennial 11 March Meeting 2013 will invite speakers to reflect on and contextualise the concepts addressed by the SB11 theme in a series of presentations, thematic sessions and panels. March Meeting is an annual gathering of artists, art professionals and institutions concerned with the production and dissemination of art in the region and internationally.
Sharjah Biennial 11 Curator Yuko Hasegawa proposes a new cultural cartography, drawing inspiration from the courtyard in Islamic architecture as a space that accumulates the memories of a local culture and facilitates the production of new knowledge through the exchanges and encounters it hosts. Hasegawa seeks to emphasise and reinforce the important role that perspective and subjectivity play in the way socio-cultural spaces, geographical landscapes and physical locales are perceived, interpreted and engaged with. For more information and event registration, please click here.
- The Mosaic Rooms is offering an oral histories workship with BAFTA
nominated filmmaker Tina Gharavi this weekend. To participate and share your stories, please click here.
Date March 2 & 3
- Lower Manhattan Cultural Council (LMCC)'s Basic Finance for Artists is a free, six-week intensive seminar on personal finance, developed to help artists make informed financial decisions. To learn more, click here.
Date March 5
- As part of its educational and outreach program, Beirut Art Centerpresents the 10th seminar in their Aesthetical Politics series led by Fares Chalabi. For more information on the series, click here.
Date March 7
Jobs and Other Announcements
Arts Professor in Residence at Department of the Arts at The American University (AUC), Cairo
The Visual Cultures Programme in the Department of the Arts atThe American University (AUC) in Cairo is now seeking applications for their 2013-2014 Arts Professor in Residence Programme.
The Visual Cultures Programme in the Department of the Arts at The American University (AUC) in Cairo is seeking applications from both emerging and established artists/designers and filmmakers for its 2013–2014 Professor in Residence programme. Awarding two residencies per academic year, the programme offers Visiting Professor artists/designers and filmmakers the opportunity to teach two courses in a cross-disciplinary environment across the three majors of the new Visual Cultures Programme at AUC: Visual Arts, Film, and Graphic Design.
For more information and to apply, please click here.
- The School of Art History at the University of St Andrews is hiring a Lecturer who will contribute to teaching both the Museum & Gallery Studies program and Art History. For more infromation, please click here.
Deadline March 4
- The Department of History at Wheaton College seeks someone to teach History 251: Early Islamic Societies 600-1800 and History 352: Social Movements in Modern Islam in the Fall of 2013. To learn more, click here.
Deadline March 15
- The Arab American National Museum is hiring a new Director to help grow and sustain the museum's mission . For more information, click here.
Deadline March 15