Calls for Submissions
Featured: Kunooz Pan-GCC Shabab Ayyam New Media Competition – Deadline: April 30
Ayyam Gallery is pleased to announce Kunooz, it’s first Pan-GCC Shabab Ayyam New Media Competition. Open to residents or citizens of the GCC of Arabic origin, this competition provides an unprecedented opportunity for emerging artists born in 1975 or after who have not yet held a solo exhibition and are not yet represented by a gallery to vie for the First Prize of a traveling solo exhibition to be held at Ayyam Gallery Jeddah, Beirut and Dubai. Second and Third Prize winners will be awarded a joint exhibition, which will also travel to Ayyam Gallery Jeddah, Beirut and Dubai. For more information, please click here.
- CSAV – Artists Research Laboratory is a project where dialogue and exchange among artists of different generations and nationalities stand at the heart of a unique artistic and learning experience. For more information and to submit an application, please click here.
Dealine: April 5
- Beirut Animated is accepting submissions for the third edition of the Animation Film Festival. For more information and to submit work, please click here.
Deadline: April 15
- Powered by See | Me, the fourth annual EXPOSURE photography competition is an international call for image-makers of all backgrounds who speak in the language of lenses and aperture. For more information, please click here.
Deadline: April 30
Featured: Plato Sanat’s Artist in Residency Program – Deadline: April 15
Plato Sanat, an important space for contemporary art in İstanbul, is offering visual artists the possibility to participate in its new residence program. The Plato Sanat Residence Program will host artists for the duration of 6 weeks, giving them the opportunity for artistic research and production in a professional and institutional environment.
The Plato Sanat Residence Program is thematic. Each year, an overall topic of research will be given. The artistic research and production done during the participation in the program shall contribute to ongoing urgent discussions concerning contemporary urban life in İstanbul. In this way, the Plato Sanat Residence Program aims at opening up visionary, even utopian proposals for current socio-political artistic engagement, which shall positively participate in the kaleidoscopic being of İstanbul.
For more information and to apply, please click here.
- Artists are invited to submit complete applications to Manifest's Manifest Artist Residency award. For more information and to apply, please clickhere.
Deadline: April 9
- Arts Collaboratory invites proposals from independent visual arts organisations from Africa, Asia and Latin-America that are active in the promotion of artistic quality, collaborative arts practices and social innovation, to propose a programme for support. For more information, please click here.
Deadline: April 15
- Studio Immersion Project (SIP) is an intensive 3 month studio fellowship designed to immerse artists in the world of printmaking. For more information about the fellowship, please click here.
Deadline: April 26
Classes and workshops
Featured: Art-Making and the Avant-Garde in the UAE – Date: April 6
In conjunction with their exhibitions now on view at NYUAD, UAE-native Mohammed Kazem and Dubai-based Brazilian artist Jessica Mein introduce their work and discuss art-making in the UAE today. Kazem is the sole artist representing the UAE at the 2013 Venice Biennale, and works extensively as a curator. Mein exhibits internationally as well as in the UAE, and is preparing her second solo exhibition at Simon Preston Gallery in New York this fall. The event is moderated by Maya Allison Exhibition Director, NYUAD.
For more information, please click here.
§ Join artist Athier Mousawi for a collaborative workshop inspired by the work of pioneering Iraqi artist Jewad Selim at Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art. For more information and to reserve a space, please clickhere.
Date: April 7-21
§ thejamjar is launching its pop-up studio at The Archive in Safa Park. For more information about the event, please click here.
Date: April 13
§ NAMAC (National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture) is proud to partner with Women Make Movies to present an important professional development opportunity for filmmakers around the country and the world For more information and to register, please click here.
Date: April 18
Featured: Dor Guez, "40 DAYS" – Date: April 12
The Mosaic Rooms hosts the first UK solo show by artist Dor Guez. Guez's family heritage is both Christian Palestinian and Jewish Tunisian. His work focuses on depicting the history and experiences of the Christian Palestinian minorities who have remained in the Middle East.
The exhibition features recent works, including the European premiere of 40 Days, a multi-channel video installation and series of images about the Christian Palestinian cemetery in the city of Lod, Israel (previously known by its Arabic name of Al-Lydd).
Dor Guez will discuss his work with Achim Borchardt-Hume, Head of Exhibitions at Tate Modern, and former chief curator at the Whitechapel Gallery on April 20, 2013 at 12pm.
For more information, please click here.
§ Edward Tyler Nahem Fine Art (ETNFA) and Leila Heller Gallery present two posthumous New York exhibitions celebrating the life and career of internationally renowned, recently deceased, Iranian artist Farideh Lashai. For more information, click here.
Date : April 3 – May 7
§ With just under 100 lots, Christie’s Dubai’s Part 2 sale includes a carefully curated selection of works by established modern and contemporary artists. For more information, please click here.
Date: April 17
§ Turkey's new international art fair All Arts Istanbul is a new platform that brings together traditional arts, contemporary interpretations of tradition, classical painting and modern works with a contemporary approach. For more information about the art fair, please click here.
Date: April 18-21
The Development of the Opportunities for Artist service has been made possible by the support of the Doris Duke Foundation