The Open Society Arts and Culture Program works at the nexus of arts, culture, human rights, and social advocacy. Through its grant program, the program strives to encourage broad-based critical reflection and catalyze social action in parts of the world where open societies are absent or weak, and where the cultural rights of minority groups are endangered.
The aim of this call for proposals is to strengthen alternative and autonomous cultural infrastructures and innovative arts initiatives, to raise professional standards in the art world in the Arts and Culture Program’s regions of activity, and to promote reform in the arena of cultural policy.
Projects that aim to draw on the power of culture to help build open societies in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan), the Caucasus, Afghanistan, Moldova, Mongolia, and Turkey, and that involve one of the following activities:
- Cultural production
- Creating or strengthening cultural platforms
- Professional development and capacity-building
Purpose and Priorities
Projects that address one or more of the following priorities of the Arts and Culture Program will be considered to bring added value:
- Capacity building: Strengthening the capacity of individuals and organizations to implement and sustain good practices and effective ways of working.
- Collaboration: Building alliances and networks with other projects and organizations to encourage knowledge sharing within the country of operation and beyond.
- Diversity: Promoting greater equality and access to cultural goods and activities for the most marginalized beneficiaries.
- Public Engagement with Critical Social Issues: Using the power of arts and culture to promote discussion, debate, and critical reflection on social issues of importance to target communities and beneficiaries.
The supported activities are described in detail in the attached application guidelines.
Please download and carefully read the complete Application Guidelines attached before you fill in the Letter of Inquiry, which is the first step in the application process. This document is designed to give you all the information you need to apply. Should you need further clarification, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), available as part of the guidelines.