3rd Fitzmaurice Freedom and Focus Conference
July 14th-19th 2014 in Bogota, Columbia
Encuentro de Voz – Gathering of Voices
Encuentro/ Encounter: Carrying on the Tradition of Gathering Together to Explore and Celebrate the Fitzmaurice Voicework
The Fitzmaurice Freedom and Focus Conference in Bogota Columbia will be hosting an Encuentro/ Gathering—part intensive, part performance festival. Fostering experimentation, dialogue, and collaboration, with Fitzmaurice Voicework.
The Encuentro will bring together artists, activists, and students to take part in a five-day program of workshops, work groups, roundtable discussions, and performances with the aim to contribute and explore the relationship between breath, body, voice, imagination, language, and expressive culture. Knowing the challenges that face human communication in the globalized world we aim to seek connections, linkages, partnerships, and community.
Activities include :
· Daily training in the basic principles of the Destructuring and Restructuring exercises with the creator Catherine Fitzmaurice and the Fitzmaurice Institute director, Saul Kotzubei.
· Specific sessions on the technique applications in multiple planes: artistic, communicative, medical, social, educational and personal growth, with international teachers certified in Fitzmaurice Voicework.
· Performances and works in progress inspired in Fitzmaurice Voicework ®
· Work demonstrations and Performances by Latin American special guests.
· Opportunities for collaboration and exchange withsocial and artistic projects.
· Spaces for discussion of relevant topics on voice, speech, language and diversity.
We encourage proposals and performances that build on Fitzmaurice Voicework. Teachers should look to explore artfully the hybridity and universal themes of the practice we study and to encourage collaborations with artist through the work beyond the conference. We challenge our colleagues to open the circle of work as wide and deep as possible to themselves, their collaborators, and the participants.
Share your voice at Freedom and Focus, Bogotá 2014.
ABOUT FITZMAURICE VOICE WORK:
Fitzmaurice Voicework® is a whole-body approach to vocal training that helps you communicate yourthoughts, intentions, and feelings with a free, flexible, and potent voice. The work combines classical voice training with adaptations of yoga, shiatsu, Reichian bodywork and other body-based/meditative practices.
It aims to increase freedom of breath, resonance, power, spontaneity and emotional connection – the full range of humanity that can be expressed in the voice.
The Destructuring phase of the work involves freeing body and breath from chronic tensions and unhelpful habits, to allow deep spontaneity and presence. In Restructuring one harmonizes and synthesizes ones discoveries while Destructuring with his or her intent to communicate.
Fitzmaurice Voicework® is taught in the MFA performance programs at Yale, Harvard, NYU Studios, the Moscow Art Theatre School, and many other institutions all over the world.
WHO THIS CONFERENCE IS FOR:
Actors, singers, poets, storytellers, teachers & coaches, broadcast journalists, public speakers,…and anyone interested in exploring the voice.